Friday, August 24, 2007

The perplexing #2

I'm having a hard time understanding the value of the number two. I've come to believe that it does have importance, since so many things revolve around it, but I'm not yet sure of what that importance really is.

Duality is very prominent. Couples are very prominent. I think I've narrowed the number two down to these two things: duality and couples.

Duality is seen often in theory, philosophy, and morals. Out of these things the easiest to discuss is Good and Evil. God has his Satan and for some reason there isn't any room for a third being to exist. There doesn't seem to be any conceptual being that I can think of that only has one side to the argument. More fun, I can't think of any arguments that have three or more sides. I can't decide if the world really is so simple that everything comes down to two real choices.

Couples are extremely interesting. There seems to be a either a need or desire (I can't decide which) for people and animals to meet in exclusive pairs. Again, for whatever reason, two seems to be the right number, not three or four, unless you're a danged polygamist. One certainly isn't the right number, and for the most part, three or more isn't anything but an exception. Hell, I don't know of any other animal that likes to have more than one partner. I'm fairly certain that people are just horny.

I still don't understand the number two, but I'm still fairly certain that it's a thing.

1 comment:

kavi said...

i always wondered the same question about the number two. I liked your post..