Sunday, June 20, 2010

I already have what I believe to be the best system for gaming: the Nintendo Wii. There's just something lovingly old school about it and it's games. Platformers will never go out of style as far as I'm concerned and are the absolute pinnacle of game-play.

However, after playing Dead Space on my PC, I've seen that video games are undergoing a creative renaissance as far as being a storytelling medium. This fascinates me, as I don't believe that there is anything quite as immersive as a good video game. A good video game with a stellar, interactive story? I'm there. From what I can tell, the Wii isn't going to be involved in this joyous bit of creativity.

(Maybe I'm wrong on that, the makers did release Dead Space: Extraction for the Wii, and while it wasn't the same storytelling power that Dead Space was, it came close, especially considering that it was limited in design [rail shooter v. 3rd person action adventure])

It sounds like the big games to experience are Dead Space (which I have, which I love), Mass Effect, and Half Life 2. I'm not talking about simple use of cut scenes to tell a story, that's been done. I wouldn't say it's been done to great effect, since I find cutscenes to be a bit... lacking, when it comes to game-play. It's not that I don't enjoy the effort put into a cut scene, and what it does to help improve the atmosphere of a game, it's that those cut scenes take the player out of the game, they offer a break, a rest from the action, and I feel like that should never happen, unless it serves some greater purpose. What these games offer are in game story elements triggered by players entering certain areas. Think of it as an interactive cut scene. Yes, it's triggered by something in game, and yes, you can't really interfere with what's going on, but it doesn't take you out of the game.

That is the experience I'm after.

No comments: